The contamination of rain samples by dry deposition on rain collectors.

Fowler, D.; Cape, J.N.. 1984 The contamination of rain samples by dry deposition on rain collectors. Atmospheric Environment, 18 (1). 183-189.

Full text not available from this repository.


A series of short-term experiments at a rural site in eastern Scotland showed that dry deposition of SO2 gas onto pyrex glass rain collectors in dry weather approached saturation after 24 h and contributed c. 80 % of dry-deposited S, the remaining 20 % being attributable to Particulate sulphate. A comparison over 3 years of soluble sulphate from funnel washings after dry days with daily concentrations of SO2 and particulate sulphate was well fitted by a linear dependence on Particulate sulphate and a logarithmic dependence on SO2 concentrations. Particulate sulphate contributed 34 (+- 7) % of the dry deposition on dry days, although there was a marked seasonal variation in the total dry deposit of S on the collector which was independent of SO2 and particulate sulphate concentrations. A comparison of monthly and daily collectors at the same site from April to September was consistent with these estimates of dry deposition on dry days. An extrapolation to sites with similar collectors in northern Britain showed that between 1S and 35 % of the monthly collected non-marine sulphate could have been dry-deposited on the collector.

Item Type: Publication - Article
Digital Object Identifier (DOI):
Programmes: CEH Programmes pre-2009 publications > Biogeochemistry
UKCEH and CEH Sections/Science Areas: _ Pre-2000 sections
ISSN: 1352-2310
Additional Keywords: Contamination, rain, dry deposition, collectors
NORA Subject Terms: Ecology and Environment
Atmospheric Sciences
Date made live: 27 Apr 2009 15:38 +0 (UTC)

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Document Downloads

Downloads for past 30 days

Downloads per month over past year

More statistics for this item...