Agricultural ammonia emissions inventory and spatial distribution in the North China Plain

Zhang, Y.; Dore, A.J.; Ma, L.; Liu, X.J.; Ma, W.Q.; Cape, J.N.; Zhang, F.S.. 2010 Agricultural ammonia emissions inventory and spatial distribution in the North China Plain. Environmental Pollution, 158 (2). 490-501.

Before downloading, please read NORA policies.
N009367PP.pdf - Accepted Version

Download (1MB) | Preview


An agricultural ammonia (NH3) emission inventory in the North China Plain (NCP) on a prefecture level for the year 2004, and a 5 × 5 km resolution spatial distribution map, have been calculated for the first time. The census database from China’s statistics datasets, and emission factors re-calculated by the RAINS model supported total emissions of 3071 kt NH3-N yr-1 for the NCP, accounting for 27% of the total emissions in China. NH3 emission from mineral fertilizer application contributed 1620 kt NH3-N yr-1, 54% of the total emission, while livestock emissions accounted for the remaining 46% of the total emissions, including 7%, 27%, 7% and 5% from cattle, pigs, sheep and goats, and poultry, respectively. A high-resolution spatial NH3 emissions map was developed based on 1 × 1 km land use database and aggregated to a 5 × 5 km grid resolution. The highest emission density value was up to 198 kg N ha-1 yr-1.

Item Type: Publication - Article
Digital Object Identifier (DOI):
Programmes: CEH Topics & Objectives 2009 - 2012 > Biogeochemistry > BGC Topic 2 - Biogeochemistry and Climate System Processes > BGC - 2.1 - Quantify & model processes that control the emission, fate and bioavailability of pollutants
UKCEH and CEH Sections/Science Areas: Billett (to November 2013)
ISSN: 0269-7491
Additional Information. Not used in RCUK Gateway to Research.: The authors of the above paper regret that there was an error in the citation and listing of two references. The correct citations are Dragosits et al., 1998 and Dragosits, 1999 and the correct references are shown below. Dragosits, U., Sutton, M.A., Place, C.J., Bayley, A.A., 1998. Modelling the spatial distribution of agricultural ammonia emission in the UK. Environmental Pollution 102 (S1), 195-203. Dragosits, U., 1999. A Spatially Distributed Ammonia Inventory for the UK. PhD. thesis. University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK. The Corrigendum can be found in Environmental Pollution 158 (2010) 2526 doi:10.1016/j.envpol.2010.04.023
NORA Subject Terms: Atmospheric Sciences
Date made live: 29 Mar 2010 13:11 +0 (UTC)

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Document Downloads

Downloads for past 30 days

Downloads per month over past year

More statistics for this item...