nerc.ac.uk

Truths or myths, fact or fiction, setting the record straight concerning nitrogen effects on levels of frost hardiness

Taulavuori, Kari; Taulavuori, Erja; Sheppard, Lucy J.. 2014 Truths or myths, fact or fiction, setting the record straight concerning nitrogen effects on levels of frost hardiness [in special issue: The biology of plant cold hardiness: adaptive strategies] Environmental and Experimental Botany, 106. 132-137. 10.1016/j.envexpbot.2013.12.022

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract/Summary

Approx. 50 papers (found from Scopus) published since 1990 were reviewed to determine whether or not nitrogen additions benefit frost hardiness in some plant species. The results varied according to species, timing of the effect, nitrogen source and plant tissue concentration. The key finding is that in 40% of reported cases nitrogen supply increased frost hardiness, while in 29% of cases nitrogen had no effect on frost hardiness. Together these findings comprise 69%, implying that in the majority of cases nitrogen additions are not deleterious but actually improve frost hardiness, especially in autumn

Item Type: Publication - Article
Digital Object Identifier (DOI): 10.1016/j.envexpbot.2013.12.022
CEH Sections: CEH fellows
ISSN: 0098-8472
Additional Keywords: nitrogen, frost hardiness, frost injury
NORA Subject Terms: Ecology and Environment
Agriculture and Soil Science
Botany
Date made live: 03 Feb 2015 10:33 +0 (UTC)
URI: http://nora.nerc.ac.uk/id/eprint/509564

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Document Downloads

Downloads for past 30 days

Downloads per month over past year

More statistics for this item...